Re: Can not get UDMA-100 working... SOLVED !!!

Thanks to anyone for your feedback. Yes, the cable is connected
correctly to the MB (blue connector), and to the drive (black
connector, since drive is alone). I had also tried `hdparm -X69
/dev/hda` without success. And when I was getting the drive
working correctly, then the day after, at machine startup, it
would again ignore the UDMA-100 mode.

In fact, this seems to be caused by the kernel itself: I've
checked in the linux-kernel mailing list archives, and found out
that other people had the same problems with the Promise stuff.

To solve this, just add "idex=ata66" to the kernel parameters in
lilo or grub (where x is the ID of the HDD on which to force
UDMA-66/100): it will bypass cable detection and force UDMA-100 mode.

Now everything is working fine :-)

Thanks again to everybody.

Cheers,

Dominique