Re: Using VIA C3 and Woody?

On Tue, 2003-01-28 at 07:10, Bill Moseley wrote:
> I want to build a very quiet and stable machine.  Anyone using a VIA C3
> based system with Woody?  If so, what motherboard are you using?  Any
> hardware issues?

There's an option to specify the C3/Elan when compiling new kernels.
Even if there weren't, a 386 kernel would work fine.

> The machine will not be running X, rather it will probably be a home-use
> IMAP mail server (very low traffic).  So on-board video and lan will be
> fine (although it may act as a firewall too, so I'll need two NICs).

I'd recommend that the firewall be on it's own stand-alone system,
so that, for example, if it gets hacked, the bad guy would stil have
to hack into your other machines to get ahold of your data.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |