Testing/unstable system: keyboard freeze in X on reboot

First post for a while - only recently resubscribed,
so here goes:

My main box has been running testing for some time,
with the odd thing pulled in from unstable.  Before
shutting it down for the weekend it had been up for
a month without incident.  Upon return the gdm
logon screen would accept no keyboard input, although
the mouse continued to function.  I was also unable
to switch between virtual consoles.  When I killed
gdm remotely, the keyboard worked fine on the command
line. Also, when I killed gdm, my attempts at typing
in the login box had appeared on the previously active
console.

Here's what I've tried:

- checked XF86Config-4.  This has not been altered for
  several months and was working fine.

- attached another keyboard.  Same behaviour as before.

- checked that installation of gdm is up to date.

- updated glibc to 2.3.1-10 (was runnning 2.3.1-5,
  so thought I'd upgrade given recent problems).

Running gdm 2.2.5.5-2
	gnome 1.4
	xfree86-server 4.2.1-4
	generic ps/2 "windows" keyboard
	2.4.18 kernel

Unfortunately I'd failed to get apt-listchanges to mail
me, so I'm not entirely certain what's been installed
in the last month (won't do that again).

   Any suggestions much appreciated,

			       Stephanie

--
Stephanie Boyd			http://www.ixtab.org.uk/slb

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"
        President Merkin Muffley, Dr. Strangelove