Re: Thinkpad T30?

>From arief_mulya on Monday, 2003-01-27 at 16:43:11 +0700:
> Dear all,
>

> I just got a T30 from the office.
> Well, actually, I don't have it in hand yet, so I'm not sure
> what's the exact specs. (the stuff comes tomorrow, but the
> letter came to me today).
>
> Anyone has played with an IBM Thinkpad T30 before?
> How's the story?
>
> I think it also has an internal modem, I don't know if it
> was winmodem or not, but does anyone ever manage to setup
> the modem?

I have some older IBM Thinkpads.  They have had Debian,
Red Hat, and Linux From Scratch installed on them, with
no special problems.  Even the winmodem was useable,
with help from this site:

http://linmodems.org/

The only thing I never got working was the sound card,
but even that should be possible in principle with the
commercial OSS drivers---it was not an issue for me.

About a year and a half ago, I installed Mandrake on
a newer Thinkpad, and even sound worked out of the box.
Unless the thing is on the absolute cutting edge,
I bet you your installation will be pretty smooth.

Conrad