Re: error on root filesystem DEBIAN WON'T BOOT URGENT

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:05:57PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
>On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 05:24:53AM -0800, Joris Huizer wrote:
>> /dev/hdb1 UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY
>> (i.e., without -a or -p options)
>>
>> fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please
>> note that the root file system is currently mounted
>> read-only. To remount it read-write:
>>
>> # mount -n -o remount,rw /
>>
>> ---------------
>>
>> What should I do ? I don't know anything about inodes
>> or the fsck program so I need any advice you can give
>
>Just do what it says. 'mount -n -o remount,rw /', then 'fsck /dev/hdb1',
>and answer the questions. (Generally speaking there isn't much point
>answering anything other than 'y' to fsck's questions, unless you're a
>filesystem expert ...)

... so you should do 'fsck -y /dev/hdb1' to automagically answer yes to
what could be hundreds or many thousands of questions!

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george@galis.org