Re: LinkSYS BEFSR41 router

Antonio Rodriguez declaimed:
> Hi Paul, I am having some problem here. I set the ports for http and ssh
> as indicated in the Advanced > Forwarding  section, but I astill can not
> reach the computer from the outside world.
> I didn't give my machines afixed ip in setup, since it would go against
> the dhcp settings ( I think). Could this be the reason for the
> invisibility problem?  (????)
> From my other machine I can see now the page, but not from the WAN.
> More detailed, I got the router's IP, and set the http request to port
> 80 to the Linux machine where I have the apache server running. When I
> point the browser to the routers ip from the outside it just hangs
> there. I assume it most be some issu with permissions in the Apache
> settings, or may be some module missing, but I don't exactly what the
> problem is.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks.

Here's how mine is set up. All pages not mentioned are default settings.

Setup page - LAN IP address is 192.168.1.1, all else as my ISP requires.
Advanced > Forwarding - Port 22 -> 192.168.1.50, Port 80 -> 192.168.1.50

That's it! My Linux box is set to static IP address 192.168.1.50, my
wife's Mac is set to 192.168.1.51.

To switch your Linux box from DHCP to fixed, all you have to do is

a) Note the addresses of your DNS servers. You can get this from the
Windows box by running 'winipcfg' from Start>Run. (Maybe someone here
knows how to get this from Linux if it's not in /etc/resolv.conf
already?)

b) Edit /etc/network/interfaces. Comment out the line that mentions dhcp
and add the static stuff you need:

auto eth0
# for dhcp
#        iface eth0 inet dhcp

# fixed network settings
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.50
				netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1

c) Edit /etc/resolve.conf to look like this

search <yourISP>.com       # optional
nameserver <the first dns server you noted>
nameserver <the second dns server you noted>

d) Run the command '# ifdown eth0; ifup eth0' (or just restart)

Now just set up the ports you want in Advanced > Forwarding.

HTH, Paul
--
Paul Mackinney
paul@mackinney.net