Re: kernel-2.4.18 module mis-install

"Jonathan Brandmeyer" <jdbrandm@unity.ncsu.edu> writes:
> Installed the stock kernel-image-2.4.18-i686 debian package, with dselect.
> Installed and unpacked kernel-source-2.4.18, with dselect and tar.
> Downloaded and unpacked nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx-source, with
> apt-get and tar.
> Built nvidia-kernel-source the Debian Way:
> (in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 )
> make oldconfig
> kpkg-make modules

You need to make sure you get the .config file that goes with the
kernel, which isn't going to be the default one in the kernel-source
package.  Try copying /boot/config-2.4.18-686 to .config, and then
running 'make-kpkg modules-image' again.

(The Righter Way to do this, from what I can tell, is even more of a
pain; you can get the kernel-image-$KVERS-i386 source package, which
build-depends on the kernel-source-$KVERS binary package; you need to
emulate its behavior to build custom modules, though.  Ick.  You can
also do things with kernel-build-* packages, but only in unstable, and
again not terribly cleanly.)

	-- Abra Mitchell