[newbie] kernel-2.4.18 module mis-install

My system is a PIII, with woody 3.0_r0.
I am installing the nvidia kernel driver for a M64 card.  It went like this:

Installed the stock kernel-image-2.4.18-i686 debian package, with dselect.
Installed and unpacked kernel-source-2.4.18, with dselect and tar.
Downloaded and unpacked nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx-source, with
apt-get and tar.
Built nvidia-kernel-source the Debian Way:
(in /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.18 )
make oldconfig
kpkg-make modules
cd ..
dpkg -i really-long-name-for-nvidia-kernel.deb
reboot.

The module failed to load when X started.  I troubleshot the problem, and
discovered that the module was installed in /lib/modules/2.4.18 vice
/lib/modules/2.4.18-i686.  Therefore, the kernel module loader cannot find
it.

I've read a lot about hand-installing the modules, and hand editing the
configuration files and scripts, but I would much rather fix this the Debian
Way.  My questions are: How can I safely move the module into my actual
kernel modules directory, and how can I prevent this problem for future
module installs?

Thanks,
Jonathan

P.S. Please don't CC this address, just reply to the list.  My outgoing smtp
is not always the same as my list address, due to relay restrictions.