Re: Which driver for a VIA AC97 Chip?

-- Andrew M. Lindley <andlin@ntlworld.com> wrote
(on Monday, 27 January 2003, 11:41 AM +0000):
> I have a new motherboard with a VIA AC97 chip for sound, I can't get the
> via82cxxx_audio driver to load for it. I've read around on the internet
> but they all seem to refer to PCI string 0x1106:3058 whereas (as you
> can see) lspci gives 0x1106:3059. The messages I get are:

<snip>
>   Bus  0, device  17, function  5:
>     Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97 Audio
> Controller (rev 48).
>       IRQ 11.
>       I/O at 0xe800 [0xe8ff].
>

> So the question is what device driver do I use or where do I patch the
> kernel to try treating a 3059 as a 3058.
I had (motherboard died, now) a mobo with the same audio controller, and
the alsa packages worked fine for me. Unless you're rolling your own
kernel, just grab the alsa-base package and the alsa-modules package
that corresponds to the currently installed kernel. debconf even lets
you select and setup the card, which makes it almost a no-brainer.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net