Re: PGP Signatures

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:51:39PM +0000, debian parisc wrote:
> forgive me for my ignorance, but I see a lot of emails on this list with
> PGP signatures. Exactly what purpose does it serve having PGP as part of
> your signature? They just look like a string of characters that could have
> been made up to me.
>
> It maybe because I receive most of the emails from this list in windows95
> (I'm at work), that they have no significance.

The signatures are a way of verifying the sender and content of an
email.  The sender of a message has two keys, a private key, and a
public key.  The sender signs the message with the private key, and the
signature can be verified with the sender's public key.  If the contents
of the message are changed, the signature does not match the message.

--
Seneca
seneca-cunningham@rogers.com