Re: SOLVED :-) Re: error on root filesystem DEBIAN WON'T BOOT

Joris Huizer wrote:

First, I had a weird warning about a change in
memory

while nothing should have changed - I did nothing
special to cause such a thing... Anyway, then the
probs go on:

When I try to boot I get an error message:

checking root system...
fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
/dev/hdb1 contains a filesystem with errors, check
forced.
/dev/hdb1: ...
unattached inode 917614

/dev/hdb1 UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck
MANUALLY
(i.e., without -a or -p options)

fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot.
I thought it'd probably be hard -  but just saying yes
to every question got everything working again.

Can any of you tell what could have caused this prob ?

Not knowing more details about the "change in memory", it's impossible to say. There may be some details in one of your system logs (/var/log/ . . .). However, any number of things can cause a file to fail getting closed, or corrupted, etc, such as a power outage, or a program lockup, a bad spot on the drive, etc.

You might be interested in converting your ext2 file systems to ext3, which is a journaling mode, and more resistant to file system corruption. It's a simple thing; just run "tune2fs -j /dev/hdb1" (for the hdb1 partition), and edit /etc/fstab, changing the hdb1 line from ext2 to ext3, and you're in business. Do this for all your ext2 filesystems, or just some, or none; it's your choice.