error on root filesystem DEBIAN WON'T BOOT URGENT

Hello everybody

I've got a big problem now:

First, I had a weird warning about a change in memory
while nothing should have changed - I did nothing
special to cause such a thing... Anyway, then the
probs go on:

When I try to boot I get an error message when the
check for the root system starts.
These are the outputs:

---------------

checking root system...
fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
/dev/hdb1 contains a filesystem with errors, check
forced.
/dev/hdb1: ...
unattached inode 917614

/dev/hdb1 UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY: RUN fsck MANUALLY
(i.e., without -a or -p options)

fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. Please
note that the root file system is currently mounted
read-only. To remount it read-write:

# mount -n -o remount,rw /

What should I do ? I don't know anything about inodes
or the fsck program so I need any advice you can give

Thanks in advance,

Joris Huizer