Re: locale and localedef

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 18:18, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> Two machines walk into a bar. Both have woody installed but one is stable
> and the other is unstable. ...
>
> Woody stable installs fr_CA locale beautifully with:
> 	apt-get install locales
> 	dpkg-reconfigure locales (choose fr_CA)
> 	locale-gen
>
> Woody unstable does not. After going through the same three step process
> the LC_CTYPE is still missing from the system. To get character maps to
> install I had to use:
> 	localedef -v -c -i fr_CA -f UTF-8 /usr/lib/locale/fr_CA
>
> Why was this different?
>
> emma
>
> --
> Emma Jane Hogbin
> [[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]

That's a relief that you did get a solution - I'm still trying to track
down why the file wouldn't have been where it should be. Given that it
is Sid, I'd suspect that this is one of the libc6 problems still keeping
it and all depending on it from being put into Sarge. Locales are
specific to each libc6 release (at least thus far - dunno if there is
effort and/or progress in allowing locales to be independent.) But
looking at the file dates, and there are some that obviously weren't
regenerated in the more recent libc6 update - I am at 2.3.1-9 here.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org