Re: Hard Disk Partition Recovery

Jeetu Golani wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> Someone I know recently got his partition table destroyed by misusing Norton's
> Rescue. Anyways, I was able to recreate his partition table using gpart and
> Fdisk and Debian's installable CD. The partitions are Win95 Fat32 (LBA)
> partitions. I've setup the Id's on the partitions to reflect these as Win95
> Fat32 (LBA) partitions (extended where necessary)
>
> I can mount and access the data under Linux. I've even copied the data onto a
> backup hard disk. Now the mysterious thing is that I can't see these
> partitions under DOS :(
>
> I've used an MSDOS 6.22 disk to boot into the system since the boot loaders
> not running after fdisk wrote to the MBR and it can't see any of the
> partitions and pops up the message "Invalid drive specification". FDisk shows
> one of the partitions as Non-Dos and the partition sizes are in negatives.
>
> I can't figure out that how I can see everything fine under Linux but not
> under DOS.....how do I get things working correctly?? Any ideas would be
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks

To start with, DOS 6.22 would not be able to recognize FAT32 partitions.
You would need a Win95b or later MS boot disk to be able to recognize
and  read/write a FAT32 file system. You can download Win9X boot disks
from www.bootdisk.com if you don't have any available.

If that's not the entire problem, posting the partition table data here
(from Linux fdisk, or gpart etc.) may help expose any problem(s) with
it.

Tom