ports puzzle

When I run "nmap" and "rpcinfo" after a fresh boot, I get the
following values:

# nmap localhost

Starting nmap V. 3.10ALPHA4 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on beta (127.0.0.1):
(The 1599 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
9/tcp      open        discard
13/tcp     open        daytime
25/tcp     open        smtp
37/tcp     open        time
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
631/tcp    open        ipp

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.561 seconds

# rpcinfo -p localhost
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    391002    1   tcp  32768  sgi_fam
    391002    2   tcp  32768  sgi_fam

But when I go down to single user mode (init 1) then exit back to
the default runlevel (Ctrl D), I get the following message on the
console:

WARNING: portmapper inactive - RPC services unavailable!
         (Commenting out the rpc services in inetd.conf will
         disable this message)"

I also get the following values when I invoke "nmap" and
"rpcinfo":

# nmap localhost

Starting nmap V. 3.10ALPHA4 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on beta (127.0.0.1):
(The 1600 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
9/tcp      open        discard
13/tcp     open        daytime
25/tcp     open        smtp
37/tcp     open        time
631/tcp    open        ipp

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2.314 seconds

# rpcinfo -p localhost
[NULL]

So it seems something called portmapper isn't getting
restarted. Should it be started in the place? Is this a security
issue? Or should I just ignore the whole thing?