Re: "debian rookie" trying to get his bearings...

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Shyamal Prasad wrote:

>     "David" == David Z Maze <David> writes:
>
>     David> "Jeff Hahn" <jeffh@gryphongardens.com> writes:
>     >> I'm setting up a "test" debian server (contemplating a move of
>     >> several redhat boxes)
>
>     >> One quick question to get me going a little better...  How do
>     >> you install services (apache, samba, whatever) and NOT have
>     >> them start on system startup?
>
>     David> Probably the easiest way is to 'rm /etc/rc2.d/S20apache',
>     David> etc. as root.
>
> IMHO this is almost the Debian Way to do this. I would actually
> suggest 'mv /etc/rc2.d/S20apache /etc/rc2.d/K20apache' and so on for
> each service you want to shutdown in runlevel 2.

Have a look in rc2.d and rc6.d, you will notice that some services
have S<smallnum> and K<bignum> or the reverse situation.  It may not
be a good idea to just change the S to a K to disable those services.

The most Debian way to do it is via update-rc.d,
the easiest way is to just rm the entry.

The best way (imo) is to use rm, but leave one of the low numbered
runlevels (2-5) and rc6.d untouched... so you can always see at a
glance what the default sequencing is for both bringing up and taking
down installed services.  Remember, you can also setup rc{7,8,9}.d,
which will not be touched by automated runs of Debian tools.

- Bruce