Re: phoenix and java?

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 06:11:28PM +0100, Robert Land wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:14:21PM -0500, Seneca wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 12:27:55PM -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin wrote:
> > > Is there a way to add java support to Phoenix by using debian packages? I
> > > did a quick google and came up with these:
> >
> > Phoenix works for me with the Blackdown Java debs.
> >
> > > When I install the plug-in directly from phoenix's site (running the
> > > browser as root) I get the following error when I go to the web site I
> > > want (running the browser as either root or as me):
> > >
> > > java_vm: relocation error:
> > > /usr/local/phoenix/plugins/java2/lib/i386/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait,
> > > version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
> > > INTERNAL ERROR on Browser End: Could not read ack from browser
> > > System error?:: Resource temporarily unavailable
> >
> > Which version of Java, which version of libc6?  For a while, I had some
> > issues with the Java plugin, but they work for me now (J2SDK1.4
> > 1.4.0.99beta-1, libc6 2.3.1-10).
>
> I'm interested in using the Phoenix browser too,
> yet I'm not too convinced that this browser would
> work on my Deb Potato system.
>
> I have these libraries:
>
> /lib/libc-2.1.3.so
> /lib/libc.so.5
> /lib/libc.so.5.4.46
> /lib/libc.so.6
>

> and couldn't find anything on the Phoenix web page
> mentioning system requirements. Would someone kindly
> jump in and provide some advice?

You need the woody libc6 to run phoenix; apart from that it seems to
be pretty self-contained.

If you don't want to upgrade to woody you can still use it in potato:
- Download the woody libc6 .deb and unpack its data.tar.gz into a new
directory, say called c225, then do (as root)

chroot c225 /sbin/ldconfig

- Unpack the phoenix package into c225/bin
- Make a shell script containing

cd /path/to/c225
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/c225/usr/local/lib:/path/to/c225/usr/lib:/path/to/c225/lib:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/lib
exec /path/to/c225/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /path/to/c225/bin/phoenix-bin

- execute the shell script to run phoenix (don't forget to chmod a+x
it first!)

(Thanks to Vineet for the techniques)

Pigeon