Re: CD-ROM

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 09:18:15AM -0500, Tom Allison wrote:
> OK, I'm getting more than a little frustrated.
>
> I am constantly getting CD-Record errors when I try to create ANY kind of
> CD.
>
> Can someone please provide any suggestions on what to check/test/do.
>
> It worked very nicely for a long time when I was under stable.
> It's been many months since I've tried it and I honestly can't say what
> might have caused it to quit working.
>
> But this is getting stupid.  I have an entire trashcan full of coasters.
>
> Configuration:
> I have a CD-R/RW (Ricoh MP7040A), a CD-ROM and a Parallel Port Zip 250
> drive (another scsi-emulation device)

Using speed=4? An attempt to avoid errors or an old CD writer?

I've used an old Ricoh CD writer (7200 I think, 2-speed, SCSI) and it
is CRAP. It keeps doing stuff like that for no apparent reason;
wet-cleaning the lens with IPA helped a bit, but not much. The easiest
way to burn a CD on the box concerned is to remove its lid and that of
the adjacent box, unplug the SCSI cable and plug it into the other
machine's CD writer.

I was recently forced to get a new CD writer when my old one nuked
itself (it appears to have corrupted its flash memory, to the point
where reflashing software doesn't recognise it and so won't run). In
the end, it would have been worth it even if the old one hadn't packed
up. Going from speed=4 to speed=32 gives a DRAMATIC improvement. I
duplicated a set of woody CDs for a friend, and instead of getting
very bored, barely had time to write the labels out. And it only cost
35 quid - about half what the old one cost.

So, I'd say get a new CD writer; you're unlikely to regret it and it
won't take long to save the money back, judging by your trashcan full
of coasters...

Pigeon