Can not get UDMA-100 working...

Hello,

The background: I have recently bought a new Seagate Barracuda V
disk (60 Gb), which is UDMA-100 capable. Since my motherboard
(Asus CUV4X) is only UDMA-66 ready, I have also bought a Promise IDE
controller (Ultra 133TX2).

Now the problem: 8 times out of 10, when booting the system, my
drive is recognized as only UDMA-33! The behaviour is weird: if I
open the box and slightly move the cable, then after rebooting it
is OK. But when switching the machine on the day after,
bang... Back to UDMA-33.

I have tried to use a different cable (I was thinking of a cable
problem) but it hasn't changed anything.

Any ideas/hints?

I use a vanilla 2.4.20 kernel, in which I have activated the
Promise PDC202XX support. I have also chosen the "Boot off-board
chipsets first" option.

Thanks

Dominique