Re: Has Anyone Used This Debian Book?

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 01:22:49PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I just found this book for almost nothing at a local book discount shop:
>
> Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 Unleashed by Mario Camou and Aaron Von Cowenberghe

*2.1*?  That's slink and rather old.  ~1998 or so.

> If I understand apt, upgrading from 2.1 to Woody should be that simple
> -- is it?

Kinda...There's a good 4 years of development between slink and woody
though, so I'd say you'd be much better off going via potato.

> And, when I was trying to install Woody, I booted from disc 5 instead
> of disc 1 to go with the later kernel.

Yes.  But why?  If your hardware is supported by the 2.2 kernels, just
use that to install.  See below.

> Is it simple to upgrade the kernel later?

Extremely.  'apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-<arch>', where <arch>
is 386. k7, etc...Follow the instructions carefully, and you'll be all
set.

> The other option -- I don't know how much has changed since 2.1.  I
> know the install has changed, but, other than that, would most
> everything else be the same (other than later versions of some
> packages)?

Off the top of my head (Colin will probably have replied with a full
list by the time you get this though :):

* most everything uses debconf now it supports 2.4 kernels glibc2, which
  was a big deal at the time, but is probably unnoticeable now...
* runs on far more architectures
* Policy has changed a fair bit, from what I can gather, but I wouldn't
  know the details...
* Debian's size has expanded enormously.  Potato was 3 CDs worth of
  binaries, Woody was 7.  No idea how many slink was, but the software
  selection will be rather limited.
* non-Free software was far more important.  For instance, about the
  only 'decent' (for some values of decent, anyhow) X-based browser was
  Netscape Navigator.  Yes, it's slow, clunky and buggy, but it was all
  there was.  Nowadays, it's easy to run a full Debian system with not a
  single piece of non-Free software on there, and not miss it a bit.  IF
  you're curious, try installing vrms :)

-rob