Re: redirect of "ls --color" causes problems

* David Z Maze (dmaze@debian.org) [030125 20:14]:
> So while bash and zsh have aliases, you can't actually do much with
> them.

come again?  What would you like to do with them that you can't?
Certainly not the example given below...

>   ls() { /bin/ls --color=auto --classify "$@"; }
>
> might be put in a .bashrc or a .zshrc to define a shell alias for ls
> that does what the original poster asked for.

So does

alias ls='ls --color=auto --classify'

The shell function seems like overkill.  I'd doubt that there's any
performance difference, but the alias is easier syntactically and
conceptually, for the newbie.

good times,
Vineet
--