Re: compiled kernel problems with ide-scsi and modversions.h

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 23:13, David Z Maze wrote:

> (2.4.8?  Do you mean 2.4.18?)
oops, sorry :), yep 2.4.18

> That file is normally built as part of the build process; you should
> have one.  How are you trying to build the modules?  Assuming you're
> using the Debian nvidia-kernel-src package, it should be enough to
> unpack /usr/src/nvidia-kernel-src.tar.gz and run 'fakeroot make-kpkg
> modules-image' from your kernel source tree.
That's not the problem. the problem is that modversions.h just isn't
there:

parker:/usr/src# find . -name modversions.h
./kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs/include/linux/modversions.h
./kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs/include/config/modversions.h

I've got both the source and headers of the new kernel in '/usr/src',
and 'find' only point to the old kernel headers directory.

> Are you, in fact, root?  You might also need the SCSI generic device
> driver; try 'modprobe sg'.  (This also explains cdparanoia randomly
> losing on SCSI-ish systems, if you run into that problem.)

I am running as root but I didn't load the 'sg' module. I'll try that as
soon as I'm able to reboot.

thanx
--
Haim