Re: tune2fs ext2 -> ext3

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 02:59:58PM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:

> Frankly I wouldn't bother with that second step. I've never needed it
> for any of the filesystems I've converted to ext3.

Though it's not required to fsck an FS after creating a journal with
tune2fs -j, it is a good idea to do it on occassion. When creating the
journal (while the partition is mounted), the journal is kept in a
file .journal on that partition. Doing an fsck on the partition will
'move' the journal to some other place so that it is hidden somewhere
in the filesystem internally. The file .journal is no longer needed
then and is being removed automatically.

GH