Re: Autofs

Joakim Hove wrote:
> I can not get autofs to work. I have installed autofs with
> [...]
> Either I am doing something horribly wrong, or else the packaga seems
> to ship with broken configuration files (but from my understanding of
> the manual pages the config files are correct - so ...?).

The default installation of autofs works for me out of the box on x86
machines using the stable bf24 and i686 kernels.  But it does not work
for me using the ia64 kernel from stable.  A bug in there somewhere.
I switched to am-utils which worked on ia64 and have not gotten around
to trying later ia64 kernels yet but I imagine the problem has been
fixed already.

You did not say which kernel architecture you were using but that
might be relevent.  Debian supports 11 different architectures and so
I shouldn't presume.  Of course I do anyway.

When the automounter does not do what I think it should do I always
try to mount the host I want to mount manually.  With a set of
commands like this.

  mkdir /testmount
  mount remotehost:/path/on/that/host /testmount

If that works then the problem is with the automounter.  But most of
the time that will fail when I am having problems and I can see from
the error message that the problem is elsewhere.  Usually not getting
/etc/exports set up on the remote machine or firewalls or some such
problem.

Don't forget to clean up after the test!

  umount /testmount
  rmdir /testmount

Bob