Re: make-kpkg install question

"Ramsay D. Seielstad" <vze2n6jv@verizon.net> writes:
> Hello all, between following the list and reading the various man
> pages and documentation I'm about ready to try my hand at rolling my
> own kernel.  I'm planning on using 'make-kpkg' to do this and the
> one item I have not seen (or found an answer for) is an option for
> installation into the directories using the version revision.

I'm a little unclear what you're asking...

> For example, I'm currently running 2.2.19, the kernel and related
> files are located in /boot/* (vmlinuz has a link to
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19) and installed modules are located in
> /lib/modules/2.2.19/*
>
> Is there a specific environment variable or command line option
> to set for this, or is that the default action?

...but this is the default you get if you use make-kpkg normally.  You
can change the version number of the kernel using the
--append-to-version option if you want to;

  make-kpkg --revision=1 --append-to-version=-watertown kernel-image

will generate a kernel-image-$KVERS-watertown package where 'uname -r'
returns $KVERS-watertown, the kernel is in
/boot/vmlinuz-$KVERS-watertown, and modules are in
/lib/modules/$KVERS-watertown (where $KVERS is the version of the
kernel, e.g. 2.4.20).

	-- Abra Mitchell