Re: Initrd diskless boot

I re-emphasize the www.ltsp.org approach.
In the mid-1990's, I worked with diskless Suns
and also tried making several Debian Linux computers diskless.
After several weeks identifying files I wanted to keep,
sometimes different for each computer,
I abandoned that too-time-consuming approach to diskless computers.

The Linux Terminal Server Project (ltsp) approach greatly simplifies
running computers diskless.
You still must configure your DHCP server (configure one file),
run the package tftpd or atftpd on your server,
configure NFS with permissions to server your diskless computers (one
file on your server),
configure xdm/gdm/kdm to serve your diskless computers (2 files on your
server),
and install the operating system files for your diskless computers (in
/opt with LTSP's packages).
The last part was greatly simplified by LTSP.

With LTSP, your disless Linux GUI terminals let you login to your main
computer, and only by changing the runlevel can you even see your
tranparently running diskless computer (its processes, its mounts, ...).
LTSP's default installation has your diskless computers working like
X-servers, but without software on a local disk.
While you can extend this with LTSP to run software locally,
you increase configuration complexities; eg, you must then
run Network Information Service (NIS) for usernames/passwords
and you must tailor several files for each computer.

Without extra configuration, your local computer can
rather easily get sound off your main computer into your
diskless workstation (if it has a sound card),
by running a daemon without needing full NIS user configuration.
And you can attach a webcam to your workstation,
though I have worked for 2 days trying
to get someone else's webcam tar files working in Debian.

I bought a diskless workstation 3 weeks ago from a link on ltsp.org,
a workstation the size of your outstretched hand yet having
audio, USB, parallel, serial, and ethernet ports -- all with
a 15 watt power supply and no fans.
Magic.

This LTSP approach gives "wonder",
since so many technical details work so smoothly,
and those diskless workstations work seemingly oddly.

--
Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@coost.com       http://www.coost.com