Re: Apt-get problem with libc

Curtis Call was roused into action on 2003-01-24 15:57 and wrote:
Disclaimer, I'm a novice so bear with me.  I've run into some problems with
apt-get.  Currently, when trying to use 'apt-get -f install' to clean things
up I continue to get this error:

ogd2jpr6908:/home/curtis# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
  libc6
  libc6
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/3191kB of archives. After unpacking 12.4MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
E: Cannot get debconf version. Is debconf installed?
(Reading database ... 11 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libc6 (from .../libc6_2.3.1-10_i386.deb) ...
dpkg not recorded as installed, cannot check for epoch support !
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.1-10_i386.deb
(--unpack):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.3.1-10_i386.deb

I noticed that dpkg is complaining that perhaps it isn't installed?  Any ideas
of how to go about fixing this?

No ideas but I have the exact same problem so you're not alone (and I've been using Debian for 2-3 years now). Myself, I was trying to install a Mozilla snapshot as it contains a new type of spam filter when I ran into this problem.

--
David P. James
4th Year Economics Student

The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant in the universe.
-Dr. Leonard McCoy, Star Trek IV