diskspace error in /tmp

hey everyone. I'm getting a "no space left on device" error whenever mutt tries to save to /tmp. The same error sometimes (but not always) comes up when I try to save a file there myself. But /tmp is (maybe stupidly) on the same device as / , and I don't have any trouble saving files in other places. Any hints?
more info (cat of fstab, du of /tmp):

/etc/fstab:
#
/dev/hda1       /               ext3    errors=remount-ro       0       1
/dev/hda8       none            swap    sw                      0       0
proc            /proc           proc    defaults                0       0
/dev/fd0        /floppy         auto    user,noauto             0       0
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0

/dev/hda2       /usr    ext3    defaults                        0       2
/dev/hda3 /usr/local ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/hda5       /var    ext3    defaults                        0       2
/dev/hda6       /tehanu ext3    defaults                        0       2
/dev/hda7 /tehanu/usr ext3 defaults 0 2 /dev/hda9 /moreaudio ext3 defaults 0 2
/dev/hda10      /home   ext3    defaults                        0       2
/dev/cdrom1     /cdrom1         iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0

# mount my personal racesci directory as racesci/matt
128.100.34.8:/home/matt    /racesci/matt  defaults              0  2
# mount the racesci website as racesci/race4sci
128.100.34.8:/home/racesciw    /racesci/racesci  defaults       0  2

du of /tmp:
matt@anarres://$ sudo du /tmp
4       /tmp/.X11-unix
4       /tmp/.font-unix