Re: Can't figure out CVS

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 08:35:36PM -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 11:45:40PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | How do I use cvs to download the entire source tree of a project from
> | a cvs repository? (rhide, from sourceforge)
>
> First read the directions :-)
>     (http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=32142)
>
> $ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/rhide login
> $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/rhide co modulename

I did... but see next para :-)

> | I'm wasting too much time online via dialup trying to figure out where
> | the "modules" are, or how to identify them.
>
> Often the project has a single module named the same as the project.
> You can confirm this using the "Browse CVS Repository" link on the
> instrution page.

Ha, I missed this. I went to "check it out" from the rhide home page;
this took me into a directory tree, and it seemed to me that I was
browsing said tree. (Hang on, I'm a pigeon, not a giraffe...) It
didn't make it obvious that module names were directory names.

> I just verified that rhide has a single module
> called "rhide".  So the above instructions, when completely fleshed
> out, are :
>
>     $ cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/rhide login
>     $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/rhide co rhide

Thanks. I was suffering from "dialup panic": go online, try to do
something apparently simple, get stuck on some obviously simple but
otherwise non-obvious point, freak out at unproductive increments on
phone bill. So I turned the computer off for a few hours and did
something completely different. Went back online refreshed, and hit
this first go! But thanks anyway.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 03:55:33AM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

>     www.cvshome.org explains all you need to know about CVS terminology.

Cool, I'll check that out.

Thanks,
Pigeon