Re: hard crash despite UPS

I use the powstatd package with by APC BackUPS 500.  The real advantage
that it offers is that you can run "powstatd -t" and see what signals
the UPS sends.

It's also a good idea when testing the UPS to *not* plug the computer
into the UPS.  Instead, just plug in a lamp into the UPS.

Another advantage of powstatd is that one machine can be configured as
a master machine and send signals to other machines on the network.
I have a second machine with a "dumb" UPS.  This won't help me if
there is a problem unique to the second UPS, but the most common problem
I have is power outages during electrical storms.  When the power goes
out for long enough, the master machine tells all machines to shutdown.

Similarly, if I only had a power problem on the primary UPS the second
machine may not really need to shut down, but the primary machine is the
NFS server for the /home filesystem, so if it goes down, the others should
as well...

Anyways, my powstatd.conf on the master machine is:

# Watch /dev/ttyS0
watch ttyS0
# CTS goes low when mains fail.
# OK
fail cts 1
# RTS goes low when battery is too low.
# Unknown
low dsr 1
# DTR must be set low at initialization.
init rts 0
init dtr 0
# DTR is initially set low; pulling it high causes UPS to turn off if main
# power is gone.
init dtr 0
kill dtr 1