Re: Re: IDE for java

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:33:52PM +0000, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
|  Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net> wrote:
| >On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 05:56:36PM -0300, Eduardo Gargiulo wrote:
| >
| >| Is there any IDE for java (debianized if possible). Which?
| >
| >It's called "debian".  :-).
[...]
| > make for build management (and either javac or jikes for the
| > compiler),
[...]

| When you say "make", is that the same make program most c++ programs use?

Yes.  Most C programs use it too, and other build processes.  Make is
not tied to any particular language or compiler.  For C++, g++ is
commonly used as the compiler, and make simply runs the compiler as
necessary.  Make can just as easily be used to build anything that has
a source file and a shell command to obtain the output.  Examples
include creating PS or PDF files from a LaTeX document or creating PS
or PNG representations of an xfig .fig file.  In fact, I use make (or
scons) to do just that.

| If so, i didn't know one could use it with other languages. I'll
| have to start learning it then.

Go ahead.  Make is quite useful, though it does have its limitations.
I've been working with scons quite a bit recently, and it is pretty
nice.  It doesn't have direct java support yet, though, but it can
still be used to build anything from anything (like make).

As you start learning make, read this article too :
    http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf

| I know there is a java specific make too: jmake.
| Any experience with that one?

I haven't heard of it.  I am familiar with 'ant', a build tool written
in java and geared specifically for java.  I think the XML-format
build file is cumbersome to work with, though.

-D

--
He who finds a wife finds what is good
and receives favor from the Lord.