Re: I think testing busted my dri set-up

  Colin> Depends how you did the upgrade - did you use 'apt-get
  Colin> upgrade' (which probably won't be suitable), 'apt-get
  Colin> dist-upgrade' (which should work), or something else like
  Colin> dselect or aptitude?

  Colin> All of those should have given you some indication that
  Colin> xserver-xfree86 wasn't being upgraded.

  Colin> Cheers,

  Colin> -- Colin Watson [cjwatson@flatline.org.uk]

Aaaargh! I fell for the old "apt-get upgrade" instead of "apt-get
dist-upgrade" trick.  I think this is at least the 3rd time this has
happended to me...

I did a apt-get dist-upgrade this afternoon.

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
                  ^^^

I'm actually a little disappointed.  It would have been nice to find
out what the problem was to help future searchers of the archives.  My
guess is that xserver/libglide were out of sync since everything
started working right after dist-upgrade.

Thanks for the help.

The good news is that dri works AND now I'm running preemptible 2.4.20 :-)

Brian

Here's the relevant debian packages for future reference :

ii  xserver-common 4.2.1-3        files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-xfree8 4.2.1-3        the XFree86 X server
ii  libglide3      2001.01.26-1.1 Graphics library for 3Dfx Voodoo based cards
ii  xlibmesa-dev   4.2.1-3        XFree86 version of Mesa 3D graphics library
ii  xlibmesa3      4.2.1-3        XFree86 version of Mesa 3D graphics library
ii  xlibosmesa3    4.2.1-3        Mesa/XFree86 off-screen rendering library