Re: Mouse Problem

This one time, at band camp, rm@ednf.org said:
> Hello,
>
> I an having weird things happen to my mouse on bootup, and through X.
> Generic ps/2 mouse, windows type clone
> I am trying different combinations of :
> /dev/mouse
> /dev/psaux (used by gpm)
> and different protocols
> protocol PS/2
> protocol mousesystems
> protocol IntelliMouse (used with a different mouse than above two)
>
> but the mouse if _still_ unstable. At the slightest touch it careers off
> screen in some random direction, never to appear again, though upon
> movement it squeals...

This sounds like a wrong mouse protocol - try temporarily disabling gpm,
and then trying different mouse protocols in X.  Usually PS/2 is correct
for these mice, but sometimes it's the IMPS/2 one.  If that fixes it,
then you can run gpm with that protocol, and then set X to use
/dev/gpmdata as it's device.  It's often difficult to make gpm and X get
along nicely, so if you have no real reason to use gpm, I'd recommend
dumping it.

|  Stephen Gran                  | What we do not understand we do not     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | possess.   -- Goethe                    |