Re: Desktop productivity with Debian GNU/LINUX

>I strongly suspect that at least some of the confusion is the result of
>the environment.  Legacy MS Windows *doesn't* let you know what's going
>on, it *does* change arbitrarially between versions, and often a given
>system will change its behavior unexpectedly, for unknown reasons.  But
>there is also a large class of people for whom the computer is something
>to be feared.
>
>I suspect that the logical consistancy of GNU/Linux _may_ help it
>somewhat.  Though there are more visible parts, they fit together more
>logically, and don't (generally) contradict one another.

As a formerly somewhat clueful windows user the move to linux initially
helped me in providing windows support, learning how computers
actually work (instead of windows broken abstraction) made diagnoses
considerably easier.

over the last year or so the lack of home windows use has atrophied those
skills somewhat, epecially with XP stuff.