Re: GNOME == bloatware?

Mark Ferlatte wrote:

> Heh.  If I weren't lazy, I'd throw away most of the GNOME stuff... I
> don't use any of it anymore, and sawfish is unfortunately buggy.

Really? I used sawfish back in the Gnome 1.x days and was happy with it.

> Maybe one of these days I'll get around to trying Metacity... I like
> it's design style.

For Gnome 2, Metacity works very well, and its themeability isn't
excessive. I like to draw a line between things that a theme should be
able to change and things the user should be able to set regardless of
the current theme. For example, the theme should have full control over
what individual components (e.g. a button in the title bar) look like,
but the user should be able to say where things go so that any theme is
adaptable to the user's preferred button placement, etc. Sawfish didn't
really do this; individual themes had to implement preferences on their
own, and most didn't. Metacity balances these things much better, and
works pretty well too.

Craig