Re: apt-get dist-upgrade doesn't downgrade to stable

On Wed, 2003-01-22 at 12:22, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> Simon Law <sfllaw@engmail.uwaterloo.ca> writes:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 06:15:53PM +0200, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >> I have a mixed system (stable+unstable) and wanted to downgrade to stable.
> >>
> >> here's my /etc/apt/preferences
> >>
> >> Package: *
> >> Pin: release a=stable
> >> Pin-Priority: 1001
> >>
> >> and /etc/apt/apt.conf
> >>
> >> APT::Default-Release "stable";
> >
> > 	Make sure you have stable in your sources.list.  Take out
> > APT::Default-Release "stable";.  Then "apt-get update && apt-get -t
> > stable dist-upgrade".  You should see it downgrade.
> >
> > Simon
>
> I had a similar problem, and so I appreciate this information.  But my
> understanding is still a bit shaky.  Could someone point me to an
> appropriate doc which explains why `APT::Default-Release "stable";' has
> to be removed from /etc/apt/apt.conf' in order for the downgrade to take
> place? ... or else perhaps could someone post a short explanation here?
>
> Since we are talking about downgrading to `stable', I don't understand
> why the presence of `APT::Default-Release "stable";' would prevent that.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
>  Lloyd Zusman
>  ljz@asfast.com

I just tried exactly what Mohammed said he did and my testing/unstable
machine wanted to remove 176 packages and downgrade 586 to stable.  I
also tried it with apt.conf set to testing with the same results.  The
preferences file seems to have priority over the apt.conf file.

--
Dale Hair <dale@meridian-electric.com>