RE: GNOME == bloatware?

It's you but I can't be a lot of help. On my 384M laptop, I can fire up a
gnome session with a gnome-terminal and only be using 196M of physical
memory. Top piggies are (virtual and real memory listed):

gnome-panel  10Mv, 10Mr
Xfree86      17Mv, 9Mr
gnome-terminal 9Mv, 9Mr
gnome-session 8Mv, 8Mr

I'm not running Galeon but I don't have any trouble running Mozilla which is
probably on the same order of magnitude in hugeness. I'd look to your
Xserver which seems huge. 65M seems a bit large for a system that just
translates network request to frambuffer blits.