Re: GRUB -- hangs on boot

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 11:23:27AM +1100, Geoff Crompton wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 11:32:30PM +0000, Tim wrote:
> > Maybe the MBR has been altered?  Run GrUB from a floppy, and
> >  > root (hd0,0) <-----if hd0,0 is your linux root partition
> >  > setup (hd0)  <-----places into MBR
>
>   Where root(hd0,0) defines the partition that the grub files can be
> found on. In grub terms (hd0,0) corresponds to hda1 in linux terms. (if
> only an ide system). I am uncertain what order grub considers scsi and
> ide disks. ie, in a mixed ide/scsi system, I don't know if (hd0) would
> be the first scsi disk or the first ide disk.
>   Just remember that grubs disk/partition addressing is 0 based, where as
> the linux partition addressing is 1 based.

thanks, geoff and tim. another valuable pointer!

isn't debian-user great? (MUCH more sensible here than those
disgruntled creeps at smoothwall, which i'm trying to ditch as
fast as possible. eww!)

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #77 from USM Bish <bish@nde.vsnl.net.in>
:
Oh No ! I have DELETED MY /TMP BY MISTAKE. How do I recreate
it? Here's your goal:
	drwxrwxrwt  8 root  root   2048 Jan  7 13:34 /tmp
Notice the permisions! As root, do these:
	# cd /
	# mkdir tmp
	# chmod 1777 tmp
	# chown root.root tmp