Re: GRUB -- hangs on boot

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 09:29:56PM +0100, Rainer Koenig wrote:
> will trillich <will@serensoft.com> writes:
> > any reason why grub would hang on startup? i see "GRUB" after
> > the bios stuff, and then... nothing.
>
> Can you type at this point? Maybe what you are seeing is the GRUB shell
> prompt. Try things like "help" to get a help.

no reaction. tab, letters, even ctl-alt-del! ...no sign of life.

> > is there a trick i missed in writing the boot sectors? (lilo
> > worked on the machine in the past...)
>
> The trick is to have a working /boot/grub/menu.lst
> (or /boot/boot/grub/menu.lst in case that /boot is an extra partition).
> Usually you have to do the following steps:
> 1. RTFM :-)
> 2. install grub using grub-install as it is described in the manual
> 3. run update-grub to create a basic menu.lst
> 4. Edit that menu.lst to let update-grub know about your partitions
> 5. run update-grub again
> 6. Reboot the system and you should get a boot menu and also the
>    ability to use the grub shell

i'll see what i can do... thanks for the information!

--
I use Debian/GNU Linux version 3.0;
Linux server 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

DEBIAN NEWBIE TIP #68 from Will Trillich <will@serensoft.com>
:
So you've installed Debian/GNU Linux -- NOW WHAT?  For some
pointers, FAQ and unix/linux lists, visit Unix Guru's Universe
site at
	http://www.ugu.com/sui/ugu/show?I=help.beginners
There's a lot of handy links there to keep you off the streets
for quite some time. (I found this page from a link on
http://arizona.speedchoice.com/~lufthans/unix/ -- thanks,
der.hans!)