Re: Is this normal with USB mice?

> I found this in the log (first X start without USB mouse plugged in)
>
> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
> No such device.
> (EE) USB Mice: cannot open input device
> (EE) PreInit failed for input device "USB Mice"
> (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
> (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

I just moved to the East Coast and had to break down my home network before
leaving so I could take one system with me.  I'd had the USB mouse attached
to a KVM using a PS/2 adapter, so Debian was configured to use the mouse as
PS/2.

When I got to VA, I set up the box and X wouldn't start at ALL.  I hashed thru
a few websites to research the problem but still couldn't get it started
until one website mentioned checking the kernel to make sure "HID" was
enabled under "USB devices."  I checked and it was set as a module and I saw
what module to use (hid.o).  I'd already had the usbmouse module loaded and
when I loaded "hid" (insmod hid), then did "cat /dev/input/mice" and move the
mouse around, I knew I had the USB mouse working.  I started X, and sure
enough, it was working.

I dunno if this'll work for you or not, but give it a shot...it shouldn't
hurt.

Regards.
--
R. Sinclair