Solved: AGAINdebian-newbe problems w. ssh

At 19.01.2003  16:15, you wrote:
[I would prefer it if you kept the conversation on the list, so that
other people can help. Thanks.]

Sorry for that, I just replied, that sent it direct to you !

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 05:10:33PM +0100, Oliver wrote:
> At 19.01.2003  15:29, you wrote:
> >On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 04:09:49PM +0100, Oliver wrote:
> >> When I try to load /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
> >> a. if it is set to r-- --- --- Could not load .. host_key
> >> b. if it is set to rw- --- --- Could not load .. host_key
> >> b. if it is set to rw- r-- ---  It says that the permissions are too
> >> open.
> >> but does not load it anyway ???
> >
> >-rw------- owned by user root and group root is the correct set of
> >permissions. Can you give me a transcript of exactly what you're doing
> >and what you see?
>
> What I did:
[...]
> Then I stopped sshd -> /etc/init.d/ssh stop
> and restarted it  /etc/init.d/ssh start
>
> then there came the messages I mentioned earlier.

I would like to see *the exact messages*. Cut-and-paste from a terminal
window would be ideal. Not summaries; I can't search through the source
code for summaries. Thank you.

It seems that some kind of hardware error was the reason. My harddisk is gone
while I was trying this (and other) stuff, 'messages' got filled with bad block errors.
Sometimes 'recycling' old components is not a real good idea.
Now with a new disk and installation everything works as supposed.

Anyway thanks for the help !

Oliver