Lilo and vga=791

I am facing a peculiar problem while booting with a kernel which has
framebuffer support.

My lilo.conf is as follows:

  root=/dev/hda
  map=/boot/map
  install=/boot/boot-bmp.b

  bitmap=/boot/ins64a.bmp
  bmp-colors=14,11,,15,9,0
  bmp-table=21,287p,2,4,175p
  bmp-timer=73,29,12,8,0

  default="deb"
  lba32
  prompt
  timeout=1200

  image=/vmlinuz
    label="deb"
    root=/dev/hda3
    append="vga=791"
    read-only
  image=/vmlinuz.old
    label="old"
    root=/dev/hda3
    append="vga=791"
    read-only
  image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
    label=mdk9
    root=/dev/hda9
    append="vga=791"
    read-only
  other=/dev/hda1
    label=dos
    table=/dev/hda

But when I choose 'deb', the system boots in 80x25 graphical mode,
rather than 1024x768x64K mode. Surprisingly, it does if I pass the
option vga=791 on the command line. FWIW, I am running sarge and the
lilo version is 1:22.3.3-2. Has anyone faced something similar?

Given a chance, I would like to use grub, but I _cannot_ with my present
motherboard :-(

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

It was all so different before everything changed.