Re: boot-up error

Thanx Nate...it turned out i had wrong partitions set in my /etc/fstab.
ian

At 10:15 PM 1/18/2003 -0800, you wrote:
ian said:
> hi all,
> i got the following message when trying to boot up...
>
> "...Activating swap
> Unable to find swap-space signature
> Checking root file system...
> fsck 1.27 (8-Mar-2002)
> fsck.ext2:Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
> while trying to open /dev/hda2
> Could this be a zero-length partition?
> fsck failed..."
>
> Any ideas of what could be wrong? Thanx in advance.

either the system is misconfigured, that is /dev/hda2 is not a ext2 partition
and whatever swap partition(s) you have are incorrectly configured(fstab
and lilo.conf being wrong, switched hdds etc), or the disk may be curropted,
boot with a rescue disk(debian boot cd should do), and run fdisk -l /dev/hda
as well as run e2fsck on the partitions on that disk that are of type Linux.

nate