Re: Ethernet setup?

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 04:28:07PM -0800, Tom Zych wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to figure out how to get ethernet working. I'm
> using sarge with a 2.2 kernel. I don't know very much about
> networking. I glanced at the networking howto, but it's rather
> technical. Does anyone know of a cookbook-style howto out there
> for neophytes like me?

The Ethernet Howto and the Networking howto are.  They just expect you
to put forth *some* effort.

You need to figure out which kernel module you need for your network
card.  Then you need to insert that module, and put your network
settings in /etc/network/interfaces.  See man 5 interfaces for the
format, it's pretty straightforward.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user