Re: problem with tv card

On Sun, Jan 19, 2003 at 06:22:45AM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 06:18, Pigeon wrote:

> > > Actually, a lot of people do.
> > >
> > > They're called TiVo's and ReplayTv's and Dishplayers and stuff like that
> > >
> > > :)
> >
> > That's nothing. I have a 600MHz/128Mb PC, dedicated to
> > running a DOS program that copies everything it receives on COM2 to
> > COM3, and vice versa.
>
> Umm, couldn't you pull a 286 out of the trash to do that, and use
> the 600MHz PC for something a bit more worthy of all those MIPS?

Sure I could... it's a temporary way of continuing to use my ISA modem
having just got a new motherboard with only PCI slots. It's going to
be a firewall and a print server once I sort out upgrading my main box
from slink to woody (slink apt-get segfaults, see separate thread).
I'll also be using it for PIC programming, with the PIC programmer
driven from an old ISA printer port card, to act as a fuse to protect
the motherboard in case something shorts on the PIC development board.
The 600MHz was my main box until I got the new MB, so this is the
method involving the least swapping and changing of hardware: main HDs,
CD-RW and video card from old to new, junkbox video card into old,
network cards into both, DOS program into old.

Maybe I should swap the video cards back, and use the 600MHz as an X
server for the new box as well.

> Don't know how big your DOS program is, but I'd be *shocked* if
> it wouldn't fit on a single floppy.  Would then not need a HDD,
> CD-ROM drive, etc, etc...

12k, most of which is Turbo C runtime libraries. CD-ROM and HDD are
installed ready to receive woody.

> Is that PC running DOS inside a Linux dosemu window, or standalone
> DOS?

Standalone DOS, so I can run it without a keyboard/monitor and hit the
power switch to shut it down. It never writes anything to disk. Also
it boots more or less instantly. I know this can be done with Linux,
and it's going to be the way I set it up eventually, but my prime
concern was to be able to use my modem as soon as possible, and the
DOS method was faster (coding time was minimal, just a quick rehack of
an existing program).

Pigeon