Re: problem setting up a local network

On Wed, 2003-01-15 at 00:14, Tommaso Moroni wrote:
> Hugh Saunders wrote:
> > "a" is which is on another subnet to "B" which appears to be
> > on ??
> > is B's IPaddr or
> That's a difficult question, because actually I've never understood what
> happens with the ADSL drivers I use!
> Anyway, when I connect to internet with B I get a ppp0 interface (the
> ADSL modem is USB so no ethernet interfaces used) and the routing table
> setted up as I wrote. Actually I don't know where IPaddr,
> I only know that it appears also when I do "ifconfig":
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>            inet addr:  Mask:
>            UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
>            RX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>            TX packets:14 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>            collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>            RX bytes:948 (948.0 b)  TX bytes:948 (948.0 b)
> ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>            inet addr:  P-t-P:
> Mask:
>            RX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>            TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>            collisions:0 txqueuelen:3
>            RX bytes:417 (417.0 b)  TX bytes:180 (180.0 b)
> The IPaddr should be the address of B in the local network
> I'd like to install.
> I hope to have been clearer!

If ppp0 is used to connect to the ADSL modem, where is the eth0
used to connect to B?

Can you attach /etc/network/interfaces, and the output from lspci
and lsmod?  (Presuming that your ethernet driver is in a module,
and not built-in.)

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Basically, I got on the plane with a bomb. Basically, I   |
|  tried to ignite it. Basically, yeah, I intended to damage |
|  the plane."                                               |
|    RICHARD REID, who tried to blow up American Airlines    |
|                  Flight 63                                 |