Lost virtual conoles with kernel upgeade

Hi,

I upgraded my kernel image and now I can't switch to a virtual console from X. I installed the 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel from the Debian Woody CDs and everything worked fine. I used apt-get to install the 2.4.18-k7 kernel and now things have gotten a little funky. When I reboot, KDM comes up as random pixels, noise. I have to restart the X server to get the login screen to show. If I switch to any console, 1-6 (ctrl+alt+F1, etc.) the screen is blank. Ctrl+alt+F7 takes me back to X. The system works OK with the exception of this console problem.

Does anyone know where I should look for a solution? I have searched the documentation and have checked Google groups. I saw several threads that decribed my problem exactly but there were no responses that indicated a solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what configuration info you need and I will post it.

Thanks,

Brian
St. Charles, MO

--