Re: URGENT: Building kernel.

Before you compile your Kernel (In this case you'll need to start again)
and probably do a 'make clean' in the source directory followed by 'make
menuconfig' then find the option about RAMDISK SUPPORT - then turn it off!

then I'd 'make dep', 'make modules'.. &c.

PS. I don't think this is the Debian *way* of doing the compile but I never
had a problem my way so I've never bothered to learn how to do it the
Debian way.

Anyhow, essentially the answer is to turn off the RAMDISK SUPPORT in your
Kernel Configuration seetings prior to compilation.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

                    "Irene
                    Sygkouna"            To:     <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
                    <isygk@teleco        cc:
                    m.ntua.gr>           Subject:     URGENT: Building kernel.

                    01/16/03
                    04:18 PM

Dear all,
I am installing the linux kernel 2.4.18 in debian following the
instructions found in the url:
http://subwiki.honeypot.net/cgi-bin/view/Main/DebianKernelBuilding?skin=print

At the final step for installing the new kernel and module packages:
"dpkg -i {list of .deb packages from the previous step}
I receive the following error message:

rena2:/usr/src# dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.18myhost1_10.00.Custom_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 54323 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kernel-image-2.4.18myhost1 10.00.Custom (using
kernel-image
-2.4.18myhost1_10.00.Custom_i386.deb) ...

You are attempting to install an initrd kernel image (version
2.4.18myhost1)
This will not work unless you have configured your boot loader to use
initrd. (An initrd image is a kernel image that expects to use an INITial
Ram Disk to mount a minimal root file system into RAM and use that for
booting).
As a reminder, in order to configure lilo, you need to
add an 'initrd=/initrd.img' to the image=/vmlinuz
stanza of your /etc/lilo.conf
I repeat, You need to configure your boot loader. If you have already done
so, and you wish to get rid of this message, please put
  `do_initrd = Yes'
in /etc/kernel-img.conf. Note that this is optional, but if you do not,
you'll contitnue to see this message whenever you install a kernel
image using initrd.
Do you want to stop now? [Y/n]n
Unpacking replacement kernel-image-2.4.18myhost1 ...
Setting up kernel-image-2.4.18myhost1 (10.00.Custom) ...
Failed to create initrd image.
dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.4.18myhost1 (--install):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
 kernel-image-2.4.18myhost1
rena2:/usr/src#

Could you please help me???

I'm looking foward for your answer.

Rena.

The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  It may contain privileged and confidential information and if you are not an intended recipient you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us immediately by telephone on +44 (0)1980 612100.  Please also destroy or delete the message from your computer.