Re: How to analyze a server crash?

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 04:01:53AM -0600, Michael Heironimus wrote:

panic. I've had that happen when X crashed, too, and that wasn't really
even a driver bug (it was combination of wine and font servers).

This one's resolvable if you have the Magic System Request key enabled
(not sure if it is by default).  It's sysrq-k to kill everything in
your current console.  If you use gdm or xdm on the console you're
killing, then it should restart automatically and give you a new
login.  If you use kdm and you have "Automatically log in after X
server crash" enabled, then it will automagically restart your session
where it was last saved; otherwise it'll behave the same as gdm or xdm.

Maybe it is just me[I use the nvidia driver], but this has never worked
for me. sysrq-k will successfully kill everything in the current console after an X hang, but then the screen just turns to gibberish and I still can't get control of it.