Re: USB Mouse Dead [Woody 2.0r1]

    "Jim" == jvarn359  <jvarney> writes:

    Jim> 2. The CD installs 2.2 kernel by default. So then I used the
    Jim> debian 2.4 kernel from dselect and compiled a new kernel in
    Jim> the debian way from the sources on the CD. In the new kernel
    Jim> made sure USB was included.

I can strongly recommend running a prebuilt 2.4 kernel unless you have
some hardware needs that are not met by these. Look in the output of
'apt-cache search kernel-image-2.4.18' and install the one that best
matches your CPU. You lose some disk space, your system will take
an extra 10 - 20 seconds to boot since these images have a *lot* of
modules, and you will have to add some initrd stuff to your lilo.conf
or grub configuration (the installer tells you this). But you get a
very well thought out kernel that works out of the box for almost
everything you'd ever want to do.

    Jim> 3. Now on starting X, X completes with no error messages. The
    Jim> desktop is there with mouse cursor, but moving mouse does
    Jim> nothing.  Running cat /dev/input/mice and moving mouse -->
    Jim> nothing happens.

    Jim> If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be grateful.  -- Jim

apt-get install hotplug

works like a dream if your kernel is good (and 2.4.18-k7 is what I'm
using).

Cheers!
Shyamal